Complex federal and local laws prohibiting discrimination, retaliation and harassment are ever-changing and continue to expand, as does the enforcement activity of many federal and local administrative agencies placed in charge of overseeing compliance with labor and employment legislation. Accordingly, and given the highly technical nature of this area of the law, it is imperative that employers doing business in Puerto Rico and those companies seeking opportunities on the island, seek and engage professional and highly qualified employment counsel so as to ensure compliance and manage risk while minimizing the risk of litigation. At CST we counsel and help guide management through this complex legal landscape and work hand-in-hand with our clients on proactive and practical approaches to tackle all situations that necessarily arise prior to, during and after an employment relationship. More than establishing an attorney-client relationship with our clients, our vision is to become our client’s supporting business partner and trusted counselor.
Our Labor & Employment practice group offers a wide array of services to our clients, from practical, dynamic and efficient counseling on local and federal employment laws that can impact and be crucial to a company’s daily business operations, to cost-effective, personalized and dynamic litigation support by knowledgeable, highly-specialized and consummated professionals. Our seasoned attorneys provide support to management in the area of traditional union-management labor relations as well as human resource counseling and employment litigation support. Our attorneys often serve as outside general labor and employment counsel to both local and mainland-based corporations as well as international business organizations doing business on the Island.
At CST, we take pride in helping our clients avoid time-consuming and costly litigation, by placing great emphasis on practical, personalized and preventive counseling on all matters pertaining to the employment relationship, from recruiting, to managing discipline and performance, to terminating the employment relationship. Our seasoned team of attorneys regularly advises and counsels Fortune 500, multi-national firms and Puerto Rico’s leading companies on matters dealing with recruiting, drafting employment, non-compete and confidentiality agreements, drafting and negotiating collective bargaining agreements, drafting and implementing workplace rules and handbooks, handling employee discipline and termination of employment, handling and conducting internal investigations into discrimination and sexual harassment claims, among others.
While we strongly believe that effective prevention is superior to litigation and emphasize proactive and practical preventive counseling to avoid litigation, our attorneys are well-equipped to implement and carry out a vigorous defense and handle any litigation arising from the employment relationship, always being mindful of our client’s particular objectives when it comes to litigation. CST’s attorneys routinely handle complex cases in both the federal and local courts in Puerto Rico, arbitration and administrative fora including but not limited to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and its local counterpart, defending management on a wide array of topics, ranging from sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation and wrongful discharge to wage and hour class-action claims and civil rights lawsuits.
Specializations within Labor & Employment
- Employment Law and Litigation
- Employee Benefits and Compensation
- Preventive Practices and Counseling
- National labor Relations Practice
- Workplace Health and Safety (OSHA)
- Seminars and Training
- Employee Handbook Development
- Workers Compensation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Business Immigration
- Appellate Practice
- Wages and Hours
- Administrative Agency Procedings
- Privacy and Social Media
- Employment Contracts
- Labor Arbitration
- Colletive Barganing Negotiations
- Tourism and Hospitality
- Union Avoidance
Latest News & Articles
CST Law is committed to provide Puerto Rico’s business community with updated insights, news and analysis of legal, regulatory and Government actions.
- Recent amendments to Puerto Rico’s Anti-retaliation statue and Puerto Rico’s Minimum Wage, Vacation and Sick Leave ActLABOR & EMPLOYMENT CLIENT ALERT November 2014 A. Significant amendments to Puerto Rico’s anti-retaliation statute (“Act...
- U.S. Supreme Court rules against retailer Abercrombie & Fitch in widely publicized headscarf case and allows EEOC’s employment discrimination suit to go forwardLABOR & EMPLOYMENT CLIENT ALERT June 3, 2015 On Monday, June 1st, 2015, the U.S. Supreme...
- CLIENTS & FRIENDS TAX ALERT June 16, 2015 I. Income Tax ProvisionsArticles 2 & 14 –...
- Puerto Rico's Labor & Employment Legislation Landscape Faces Major Overhaul with Approval and Enactment of Workplace Flexibility Transformation ACT ("WFTA")CLIENTS & FRIENDS TAX ALERTRETAIL & SERVICES MERCHANTS January 26, 2017 Earlier today, Governor Ricardo Rosselló Nevares...
- The Social Security Administration (SSA) announced that the maximum amount of wages in 2017...
- Highlights Of The Government Of Puerto Rico Proposed Fiscal Plan Presented To The Financial Oversight And Management Board Or Puerto RicoOn February 28, 2017, the Government of Puerto Rico presented to the Financial Oversight...