- Civil Litigation
- Appellate Practice
- Supreme Court of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico
- Supreme Court of the United States
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIL AFFILIATIONS
- Puerto Rico Bar Association
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- B.A., with distinction, in International Affairs, Latin American Studies from the George Washington University’s School of Public and International Affairs
- Juris Doctor- Hofstra University School of Law
Juan Rafael González-Muñoz, Esq. is the founding member at González Muñoz Law Offices, P.S.C. and serves as Of Counsel at Casillas, Santiago and Torres, LLC providing litigation support in civil jury trials before the United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico and before the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico Courts.
Mr. González-Muñoz joined the Federal Litigation Division of the Puerto Rico Department of Justice in 1986 as a staff attorney, where he gained ample jury trial and motion pleading experience in civil litigation in federal court. Before leaving the Department 1989 he was promoted to Supervising Attorney in charge of his own caseload and that of five staff attorneys related to civil rights and constitutional law litigation in the areas of political discrimination in employment, prisoner rights, police brutality claims and extraordinary writs. He was also responsible for handling cases before the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit and has continued to argue extensively at the appellate level.
In the public sector Mr. Gonzalez-Muñoz has represented the President of the Senate, Superintendent of Police, Secretary of Transportation and Public Works, Ombudsman, Executive Directors of the Puerto Rico Highway Authority and the Rural Development Administration, Administrator of Corrections, Secretary of Health and the Municipalities of Ponce, Carolina, Mayagüez, Florida, Vega Baja, Toa Baja, Rincón, Maunabo, Hormigueros and Ciales. In the private sector he has represented Golden Care Medical, Inc., Hospital Dr. Pila, the Puerto Rican Association of Pharmacy Owners, SIMED (medical malpractice insurer), and numerous plaintiffs in medical malpractice actions and in employment negotiations and litigation against private and public employers.